Julian currently works as the Director of the Professional Standards Committee for Europe Active, the leading not-for-profit organization representing the whole health and fitness sector in Europe. The Professional Standards Committee focuses on the development and dissemination of European fitness standards for education, accrediting training providers across Europe to deliver qualifications in line with these standards towards the professionalisation of the health and fitness sector workforce. The Level 4 Personal Training certification standards have been created and maintained by Europe Active for the whole European region.
Julian previously worked for nearly 2 decades for the leading UK business to consumer fitness education provider, Premier Global, as Director of Research and Development, developing qualification content, innovative education products, and helping drive UK national fitness standards. His involvement, experience and knowledge of fitness education requirements to meet the growing demands of the modern industry workplace is testament to why he now spearheads this work driving the European fitness standards across the region.
Alongside his Diploma in Personal Training and Sports Therapy, Julian has degrees in Sport and Recreation (BA), in Leisure Management (MA), Osteopathy (BSc), and also a Post-Graduate Certificate in Education.
In this episode we get to know Julian and his professional background and explore the following topics:
- the experience of working as a fitness tutor in the UK
- as an early adopter of functional fitness training, what inspired Julian to get involved with this type of training in 2001-02
- the primary objectives of Europe Active across the fitness sector and how this impacts all fitness professionals
- some of the challenges of driving the Europe Active vision across the continent
- some of the success and highlights for Julian in working with an international organisation like Europe Active
- ongoing professional development and the Europe Active Lifelong Learning requirements.
If you enjoy this episode, then please rate the show and share it with your friends so they can benefit from this free expert information. Your comments and feedback are always welcome. Please subscribe to the Fit to Succeed podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Player FM or the full version on You Tube so you will receive each update immediately upon release.
Keilir Health Academy, the parent company of Nordic Fitness Education, received their Europe Active accredited status in October 2017, with their certificate being presented by Julian at the 8th International Standards Meeting in Rome, November 2017.
To learn more about the European fitness standards as delivered by Europe Active please connect with them through any of the following means:
Connect with Julian / Europe Active via social media: